Rose167
Rose167 asks:
Q:

How much homework should a first grader have and how difficult should their math questions be?

My grandson has over an hour of homework each night. I think this is too much for someone so young. He is losing interest in school. Also his math problems seem very hard for him. Example 2 + _____ = 6. He tends to add the two numbers together. This seem too difficult to me for the beginning of the first grade.
In Topics: School and Academics, Learning issues and special needs, Helping my child with school work and home work

|

I always suggest that when a parent is concerned about the amount of homework or the time required to complete the assignment that they have a teacher meeting. Sometimes, teachers are not sure about the length of time that the homework takes to complete or the parent/caregiver may not realize that their child is taking more than customary time.

Either way, an open and honest discussion may be a good plan.

Louise Sattler, Psychologist

1
0

SusanPlueger
SusanPlueger writes:
I could be wrong since this question is a year old - but the new common core standards are causing a lot of angst with a lot of parents.  One friend tonight was telling me her 3rd grader has 3 hours of homework a night and it is incomprehensible.  Her husband spent an hour on one math problem and the teacher had to send it back and said "you did not show enough work".  The question was something you would expect in 6th grade not 3rd.  The "standards" are developmentally inappropriate and introducing topics way too early.  This is going to result in more and more children hating school and being pressured to consider ADHD drugs in an attempt to fix them when in fact they are not "broken"  - the SYSTEM is.  My advice - homeschool or look for someone who can do it for you (a growing alternative) or find a non common core aligned private school if you can afford it.

0
1
MichelleMalinow
MichelleMal... writes:
I don't believe "homeschool[ing] or look[ing] for someone who can do it for you (a growing alternative) or find a non common core aligned private school if you can afford it" is the answer. Running from the issue manifests itself into other problems. A conference with your child's teacher would go a long way in solving the problem, approaching the meeting without anger or animosity, looking for a solution with more heads than one is a much better idea.  And, if that doesn't solve the problem ask for a meeting with an Administrator and the teacher to get to the root of the problem. It could be that the teacher has not sent enough information to the families to help the child with their homework assignments. The teacher may not be aware of how much time it’s taking your child to complete the work.  Or, the child has built-up a resistance to doing the homework due to frustration and/ or confusion.  I can not comprehend that a child in the 1st grade has over an hour of homework each night or a child in the 3rd grade has 3 hours of homework per night. There is obviously an issue of miscommunication between the school, teacher, and/or parent.

Michelle MS.EdA

0
0
Anonymous