Rodwellj
Rodwellj asks:
Q:

Is homework helpful at the 4th grade level. How best to foster reading skills at the 4th grade level?

I have heard that future educational achievement can be fairly accurately predicted at the 4th grade level. Please explain.
In Topics: Helping my child with reading, Helping my child with school work and home work

|

Allyn Anderson

As an educator, I do believe in homework that is a review of information learned or if it is for introductory purposes for a topic of study. I don't think that homework just to assign homework is necessarily helpful. I do believe that a child should read nightly for 20-30 min. Encouraging reading can become a life-long learning activity and enhances one's knowledge.

At the fourth grade level, children still love being read to, as well as reading independently with parents who are also reading. Allow a child to select his/her books of interests, even graphic novels from time to time. But, consider selecting a higher reading level books that you read orally to your child --- a great pasttime.

You have a good question about predicting educational success, but I don't think I can fully answer it for you. I do know from working in the educational world that fourth grade is a "mile stone" year in school, as is eighth and twelfth grades. I suspect these grades reflect periods when a child is progressing to a higher developmental level mentally. Your child's physician may have a greater understanding of this, or perhaps asking your local school psychologist can give you more information.

0
0

Hi Rodwellj,

Yes, I believe that homework is still helpful for 4th grade students.  Homework is an ongoing part of higher achievement in all grades, even in college.  To truly master skills, one must practice...it is beneficial to the student to use the skills that have already gained a great understanding of as well to study and learn the skills that they have not quiet mastered yet or truly understand.

I personally do not believe that by 4th grade one can predict the future educational achievement of a child.  One may have an idea of how that student will perform based on their study habits, behavior, interest and class participation.  You may now see your child's personality as they are more outspoken and opinionated, but to try to determine rather a student will be successful in academics or not is not fair to the student.  

As far as reading, continue to set incentives, spend time with your child reading.  Let them read aloud to you and you read to them.  Encourage nightly reading and I've included some links that I truly believe in and use and think that you will enjoy with your child.

0
0