Danielle
Danielle , Parent asks:
Q:

How much homework is normal for kindergarten?

My son is already getting quite a bit of homework. Wondering what other parents are experiencing.
In Topics: Working with my child's teacher(s)

|

Allyn Anderson

Danielle, "Redwood's" response is right on target. Hopefully, you've been able to work through your concerns with your child's teacher. In addition, set aside a few minutes each evening to read to your child. It will broaden his interest in learning and help to build a trusting relationship with yourself.

3
0

Redwood_City_Mom
Redwood_Cit... writes:
Hi Danielle,

I'm not sure what's "normal" but I have heard a rule of thumb that 10 minutes per night per grade is a good guideline (so 10 minutes per night in K, 20 in first grade, 30 in second grade, etc).

I think in Kindergarten, the goal should be just to help your child understand that learning happens at home too (instead of just thinking learning lives in a box called "school"). It's also great to start to develop good homework habits and routines while the homework is still "fun stuff" instead of trying to get your kid excited about homework when it's harder work as grades advance.

I think if you or your child is feeling overwhelmed by the amount of homework, it's important to talk to the teacher about it. He or she may be willing to work out a customized plan or alternate homework assignments for your child.

1
0
wscray
wscray writes:
None. A kid in kindergarten should not have homework. Have him(her) enjoy growing up a little.

1
1
maceynicloe
maceynicloe , Parent writes:
my girl is in kindergarten and might bring home home work one time a week if that

0
0
Leah6
Leah6 writes:
Not sure about what you mean in terms of quite a bit of homework but my twins that are in K have about 30 minutes of homework a night.  In fact one has a gazillion sight words, not even 6 months into the year has to memorize 0-31 and has about 15 books to read every night on top of a weekly homework packet.

0
0
MomSince2007
MomSince2007 writes:
Our school sends home 12 pages of homework per week for Kindergarten. The principal believes in only having purposeful homework, but the amount is ridiculous. 10 to 15 minutes should be max for a kindergartener, but we struggle with the writing and abstract thinking. The "Reading Log" which you would think would mean time spent reading to and having your kindergarten read to you, involves dictating your child's answer to
"What does the book make you think of and why? (Personal connection) Example: It makes me think about how I should always do my best and to never give up because the little girl in the book never gave up."
Seriously!?!? Not age appropriate at all. Especially when the books sent home are "Farm Animals" with 10 pages of "The horse is brown. The fields are green." Questions like, what was your favorite part, who was the main character, what happened to them, etc. are much more appropriate for the developmental level of 5-6 yr old but don't necessarily apply to the basic books they are learning to read independently.

Okay rant over. I started timing how long it takes us to complete each page of homework. It was taking 3.5-5 hours per week to finish the packets. It was so frustrating and even our teacher agreed that it was too much homework, but that's what is given to all 5 kindergarten classes so it couldn't be changed this year. I'm talking with the principal, but for the sanity of my family and trying to make homework a positive and not frustrating  experience, I set a timer and stop at 30 min. Occasionally we'll do 45 min, but only if he's interested. Unfortunately, it means doing homework on weekends and losing out on real world educational opportunities.  

The arms race in homework and teaching to the test is getting totally out of control. I'm not sure what will stop the escalation, but it's crazy what kids are being taught (and expected to learn) years before when we were taught them.

0
0