twinmomsrock
twinmomsrock asks:
Q:

How much homework is "right" for kindergarteners?

I was surprised when my twin kinders came home with homework. Honestly, I enjoy it because I like doing that sort of thing, but one of my kids is totally on board while the other one wants to do about 1/6 of it and is done.

At five, I don't think we should be the enforcer when it comes to homework. And, yes, some of it is busy work. Not all.

The envelope says that we should plan for 10 to 15 mins. of homework a day. And this doesn't count the 20 mins. they ask us to read to the kids (we love to read so that's no biggie at all).

Does anyone know anything about homework standards? 10 mins. for 1st, 20 mins. for 2nd etc.?

Thanks!
In Topics: Helping my child with school work and home work

|
Hi twinmom,

I have heard the 10 mins per grade per year rule of thumb (10 mins for K, 10 for 1st, etc).  The kindergarten teachers I've spoken with (including my son's) say that the goal of homework at that age is just to help them develop good habits and to help them connect their two "worlds" (school and home).   I'd talk to your reluctant child's teacher to see if you can either reduce the amount of work or substitute the "busy work" assignments with something more interesting to your child.  It's bad for everyone if your child develops an "I hate homework" attitude at this age.  

Good luck and please let us know how it goes.

Education.com Community Team

2
0
cupcake13
cupcake13 writes:
i dont think that kindergardeners should have homework because their in a fragile stage and if they dont do their homework then, then it will become a habit and they will never do homework. thats how i grew up homework was not enforced but if report cards were bad then it was no anything until i got better grades. in kindergarden kids who dont like homework shouldnt be forced to do it but if they do bad its technically their fault. -sincerely cupcake

0
0