Vikka
Vikka asks:
Q:

how can I make homework time fun for Kindergarden child?

I have a 5 yr old who just started Kindergarden. Everytime I announce that is time for homework he gives me a hard time to start. Any suggestions on how I can make it interesting or fun for him?
In Topics: Back to school

|

This is a good question.  There are many children who don't like homework.  (And I can't say I blame them.)  After putting in a long day at school, the last thing they want to do is more work.

Here is an idea that might make the afternoon/evening more enjoyable.  Take a long at the homework without telling him.  Then have some fun with it.  

What I mean by that is say for example that your son's math homework has five problems like 2 + 3 = ___  Knowing this information you can solve this problem in a hands-on manner.  Ask you son to take 2 cans out of the cabinet and then 3 more.  Ask him how many cans he has all together.  He will quickly count the cans and give you the answer of 5.  One problem down only four more to go.

Here's another example - Make a list of words rhyming with "at".  Play a rhyming game with your son.  Start with something other than "at" say "it"  Say the word "sit", then ask him if he can think of a word that rhymes with "sit" and "it".  Then move on to "at"  When it comes time to record what other words rhyme with "at" his has already done it!

Chances are if you ask the questions or discuss possible answers before you actually to the homework, you won't have much of an argument.  Your son has already given you the answers.

Looking forward to seeing what others think.

Barb K
www.LessonPop.com

0
0