Cate
Cate asks:
Q:

Is an hour or more of homework too much for first grade?

We live in California and my grandson has at least an hour of homework four nights a week consisting of  three pages of math and language, then reading and reviewing spelling words.  He is also to review several sight words and math factors (addition and subtraction).  
Teacher friends have suggested that this may be too much and I'm wondering if I should talk to the teacher?
In Topics: State education standards

|

My first grader (also in California) has 2-3 pages of homework four nights a week, and can spend up to an hour on the more difficult assignments, but typically only spends about 1/2 hour completing her assignments. We also do some reading and sight word work as much as possible, in addition to the homework.

I think it is a good idea to talk with the teacher about any questions or concerns you have regarding your grandson's education, including homework assignments. Seems a great topic for your next (grand)parent-teacher conference.

You might also talk to other parents at school to see if there are many students in the class who are likewise concerned or struggling with the homework volume and time commitment. If so, that might also inspire the teacher to re-think the assignments, and adjust volume or complexity.

Below is a link to an article on Education.com that might also provide some insight for you.

1
0