nelehita
nelehita asks:
Q:

My husband is dyslexic and wants to get his GED...

My husband is dyslexic and never received his GED.  He has tried to read through the book, but can't.  He is also embarassed to try to take a public class, which are usually self-moderated, where the teacher just answers questions.  Do you know of a GED text on audiobook that he could use?  Or any other good resources?  Thank.
In Topics: GED programs

|
lravidlearner
lravidlearner , Teacher, Parent writes:
Accommodations are made for people with learning challenges to take the GED.  Start with the ACE website (officials responsible for administering the test).  Tests, including practice tests, can be administered by audio-cassette:

http://www.acenet.edu/Content/NavigationMenu/ged/about/faq.htm#accommodations

They will help point you in the direction of your nearest testing facility so that the proper forms can be filled out.

He will have to fill out Form L-15, which requires documentation of his diagnosis.  The L-15 is described in detail here:

http://home.gwu.edu/~kkid/f15.html

He should also contact the local community college or adult ed center offering GED classes.  By law, under IDEA, accommodations for his disability must be made in giving instruction as well as in testing.  So they should have audio-cassette materials available for his use, or be able to refer him to appropriate resources.  

It's important that he take official documentation of his condition with him when requesting accommodations.

2
0
liljon
liljon writes:
I was told that audio books would be furnished through the state education dept. I'm 23 and feel like your husband but am going to try.

0
0
Espie210
Espie210 writes:
Unfortunately, dyslexia is not only visual, it involves auditory response too. That means the audiobook may not be as helpful as one would think. The best bet is to find a tutor or a class that can give him new tools for spelling and reading. My husband and son are dyslexic, you just have to find a method that works for you.

1
0