Mommyof3angels
Mommyof3ang... asks:
Q:

hypersensitive child? Normal behavior or not?

My son is 6 years old. For as long as I can remember he always had a fear for the dark. I just blew it off as something he will outgrow but it seems to be getting worse. He scares very easily and when he gets scared he is truly frightened. He notices every little creak and every noise and he will look around and say 'what was that?" He will run and hide under something like a coffee table. When someone talks too loudly he gets scared, when his baby sister cries he hides, he sees or hears something on tv that sounds weird he hides. There has been times he is playing with friends and he hears something and he goes running. I am very careful what he watches on tv because he seems sensitive to certain things and noises. Is this a hypersensitive child or is this something he will outgrow? Is this normal behavior for a 6 year old?
In Topics: My child's growth and development

|

Hello and thank you for writing to JustAsk.

My first thoughts is that your son may benefit from a pediatric audiologist who specializes with sensitivity disorders. Your pediatrician may help you, if this is the route you wish to pursue.  Also, you may wish to look up information about sensitive children (emotionally).  One of my favorite sites is KIDLUTIONS (http://www.Kidlutions.com)

Louise Sattler

0
0

mamageorge
mamageorge writes:
I have 5 children, 1 of which is hypersensitive.  As long as it dosn't interfear with daily life it's just something that you adjust too.  My son for example is so sensitive that we got new furniture last weekend and he is still crying about it... he wants the old couches back.  He also won't use the bathrooms at school because they are too big and loud and echo. For him this is just normal.  Also with this "condition" he will bring things up from a year or two ago that bother him and it seems to come from nowhere.  It's frustrating and requires lots of sensitivity and empathy on the part of the parents and others close to him.  Good luck.

1
0