ptamother
ptamother asks:
Q:

What makes ice cream melt?

Our science fair experiment has to do with finding which type of ice cream will melt the fastest.  We tested regular vanilla ice cream, vanilla light ice cream and vanilla low fat frozen yogurt.  The regular vanilla ice cream melted the fastest - why?
In Topics: Science fair

|
kripp5911
kripp5911 writes:
Because the regular ice cream has fat, and it is not light.

1
5
graham
graham writes:
Ice cream gets its delicious texture and properties from 3 things: small pockets of air, ice crystals, and fat globules. If you have ever made ice cream, you will know that churning it is very important. This is to evenly distribute air into the cream mixture (otherwise you would have frozen milk, which isn't nearly as tasty). If you churned the cream mixture without cooling, all you would get is butter and buttermilk. As you churn the fats create a foam (air pockets), which is then frozen as an emulsion (two things which don't normally mix) with the other ingredients.

The amount of fat in the ice cream does seem to play a significant role in determining its melt rate- but so do other factors, such as salt, the amount of air (density), and 'stabilizers'. I would check the ingredients of the low fat and light ice cream, they may have ingredients such as polysorbate 80, which is an emulsifier, reduces ice crystal size (makes it smoother), and increase melting time. I have a feeling that the chemistry required to make 'ice cream' without using fat (no cream!), is the reason they take longer to melt. Other factors include the 'hardness' or density (amount of air).

[Interestingly it seems from reading online that more dense ice cream actually melts faster. This might be a good experiment to try. Take two scopes of ice cream, and let one scoop melt completely, then refreeze it. Then compare the melt rate of the refrozen scoop to its twin.]

You would be surprised at the amount of serious scientific studies into all things ice cream. I have linked to one below.

7
1
tara123
tara123 writes:
looking for an answer?

0
4
mariac65
mariac65 writes:
Amount of butterfat

1
2
demorius
demorius writes:
rock solt

0
4
smartkaka
smartkaka writes:
it is made out of liquid so if it is heated it will melt

0
4
Country_dude
Country_dude , Student writes:
Heat?

3
1
3learner
3learner writes:
Because of temperature and

2
2
3learner
3learner writes:
Because of chemical content and temperature!

4
0
Delilah2001
Delilah2001 writes:
Heat and sun

2
2
zachschulz
zachschulz writes:
the vanilla is a color but the chocolate is dark and it absorb more light or heat.

4
0
Najon01
Najon01 writes:
i do think the ice cream will melt. I think this because icecream is simply made of milk so, it being frozen then baked of course it wouls most likely melt.

1
1
matty123
matty123 writes:
because fat is an insulator. if you think about it, body fat is the thing that keeps the body warm, so the fat in the ice-cream is keeping it warm (well trying to :))
i tried to answer this the best i can, i hope this helped
                                                             matty123xxx

0
0
john18967
john18967 writes:
Awesome and Easy!

I purchased this after much debate about whether or not I needed a two quart ice cream maker or just go with the original Cuisinart $49.95 one. I am so glad i bought this one. It is so great. Easy to use, makes alot of ice cream,so sleek looking.

I have a tiny kicthen and everytime I turn around I am buying something that will clutter my counterspace, but I have to say this I don't mind. It is square, not to bulky and the cord fits nicely up inside the machine. It doesn't dangle or anything. It's right next to my KitchenAid.

I have made two recipes out of the manual that comes with the machine. I usually don't like "manual recipes" however, these are fantastic. The Mango Gelato was a huge hit with family and friends. One girl who doesn't like ice cream, liked it. The simple ice creams that dont require making a custard, you just mix all the ingredients together and freeze, I was thinking it would be terrible. It wasn't, so you can make ice cream in 30minutes from start to finish with those recipes.

I do keep the bowl in the freezer like others suggested with the smaller ice cream maker. It has been very useful to have it already frozen when I am ready to make ice cream.

As far as noise, it is not as quiet as I thought, but don't let that scare you. It's not like turning on a blender and leaving it running for 25 minutes. It's not an annoying noise. Not like the old ice cream makers with the ice and stuff. It is fun to watch it churn too. So the noise just fades to the background.

It's very interactive and a great thing to do with kids and company.

I really can't say enough good. One of the best appliance investments I have mad yet.

0
0
nguyenducphu9906
nguyenducph... writes:
I have many exciting software which I want to share everybody. These are the softwares which is used on the computer and the mobile
This is my page. There are many games and apps page

1
0
wingogirls
wingogirls writes:
I think that ice cream melts the fastest\
21 hours ago

1
0