salfam
salfam asks:
Q:

Ideas for a 5 year old who is not going to kindergarten this year, please.

My son is turning 5 in August and we're not sending him to kindergarten this year. Does anyone have any ideas about how to challenge, entertain, and educate him until next year? More info: I am a stay-home mom. He already knows letters (plus their sounds and how to write them), numbers, and can read lots of sight words. He interacts with kids his age a couple days a week. I am not sending him to a traditional preschool since I don't think he'll benefit enough from the programs around here. Any ideas? Thanks!
In Topics: Camp and summer enrichment

|

Hi Salfam,

Sounds like your son is right on track for his age -- if not ahead of schedule! I think it's wonderful that you're looking for ways to challenge him and make sure he's prepared for kindergarten.

Below, I'm including a link to an article on 10 important kindergarten readiness skills. The concepts you mentioned are actually a few of the most important, according to a kindergarten teacher interviewed.

She also mentions the importance of kids writing and recognizing their own names, as well as being able to use scissors, so I would say it's also essential for kids to work on their fine motor skills. This article suggests encouraging children to explore different writing instruments (markers, colored pencils, crayons), and letting them play with Play-Doh to build up their writing muscles.

I'm including a link below to our preschool coloring pages -- they're lots of fun, not to mention a great way to help kids strengthen their fine motor skills.

1
0