One4mom4All
One4mom4All asks:
Q:

Looking for ideas for healthy, tasty, easy snacks for road trip.

The kids and I are going on a road trip to visit family about 400 miles from our home (which usually takes us about 6-8 hours depending on traffic and pit stops). Our budget is tighter than usual, so I'd like to avoid stops at fast food joints this time. I need ideas for self-serve snacks that are easy, healthy and filling, while also still attractive for the kids (they can be picky sometimes and are used to getting burgers and fries on the way). We have a mini-cooler so items that need to be cool is not a problem. We'll also stop at rest stops occasionally. What do you suggest?
In Topics: Nutrition, My picky eater, Family vacations

|
bob , Parent writes:
The standards in our family are apples, hard pretzels (the large kind), Fig Newtons, trail mix, and generally water bottles, filled at home.  We go for things that are not negatively nutritious and are easy on the stomach as well.  Otherwise, the kinds of things you might pack for a school lunch would do.  Carrot and celery sticks, orange wedges (take wet wipes), simple sandwiches.  I recommend avoiding sugary drinks.

Education.com has a page on road trips that also has a number of activities listed that will keep the kids occupied and their minds off of those burgers and french fries.  URL is below.

3
0
Roque
Roque writes:
PBJ, crackers, hummus so they can dip fav veggies, trail mix, fruits, including dried fruits, pretzels, apples w/ caramel dipping sauce, cut up cheese, croissants, cold cuts/hoaggies, popcorn, seltzer water w/ fruit juice instead of soda...etc, etc. Think finger foods that are NO Mess, NO hassles :D Enjoy your trip!

1
0
Anonymous