musspeak
musspeak asks:
Q:

I'm looking for ideas on introducing my four year old to the facts of life.  Any suggestions on age appropriate books or materials?

I'm looking for ideas on introducing my 4yr old to the facts of life (sex education). Any ides or sugessions on age appropiate books or materials?
In Topics: Communicating with my child (The tough talks)

|

This site also has some wonderful resources on addressing issues of sexuality with your children. I particularly like the following article from the NYU Child Study Center: http://www.education.com/reference/article/Ref_Its_Never_Too_Early/.

If you have additional questions about discussing sexuality with your children, you may want to check the following section of our site: http://www.education.com/reference/topic/TeenYears_TeenDatingAndSex/. I know that the headline indicates that this section is about "teen dating and sexuality", but there are many articles relevant to younger children, as well.

Good luck and kudos to you for taking on this important issue with such seriousness and intent!

Laura Compian, Ph.D.
Counseling Psychologist
Reference Team

0
0

KidAngel
KidAngel writes:
Hi Mussspeak,
I like this website for the guidance you are seeking:http://parentcenter.babycenter.com/0_how-to-talk-to-your-child-about-sex_65696.pc
This is for preschoolers and gives a very straigthforward approach that you may find very helpful. I hope I have been if service to you and thank you for starting early!

Barbara Antinoro
Educational Counselor
Kid Angel Foundation
Education.com Team

0
0
Harrellm
Harrellm writes:
I also feel that it would be wise to wait a bit.  It won't hurt them to wait till they are able to comprehend some emotional aspects of sex ed. It would probably be better to wait for that reason as well.  So that the child gets the moral and the biological at the same time.  It may be the reason for some persons who can seperate the two ( sex from Emotion) with little worry.  This makes me worry : )))

1
0
busymomof3
busymomof3 writes:
I am studing to be a health teacher, and the best advice I can give is to keep it age appropriate.  There is no need to have "sex talks" with her at this age, but by calling body parts by the correct names is a good start.  When my daughters were that age I waited until they asked questions.  I answered them honestly, but simply.  They let me know when they had heard enough.

1
0
Aunty-Sammy
Aunty-Sammy writes:
I wouldn't want my 4 year old knowing about sex!, I would prefer to wait until my child was older say 11 or so (secondary school age) before telling them about that. Although if I had a daughter I might talk to her about periods at 9 or so (girls begin puberty from age 9 upwards). So why not let your child enjoy their innocence and childhood for a few more years yet, after 4 is way before any body changes begin and they don't need to know about these things at that they are way to young.

0
0