GrandmaB asks:

Ideas on science fair project: example of alluvial fan.

My grandson is 12 and I need ideas to help him create a science fair project.  He chose the topic "Alluvial Fan" as his project.  Need something that can fit in a shoe box? and fairly simple and inexpensive.  Any ideas a.s.a.p.
In Topics: Helping my child with science

Interesting choice. Line the shoe box with plastic wrap so you can use water. Then make an artificial mountain using dampened play sand. Mound it up on the narrow end, like a ridge formation. To make an alluvial fan, pour water slowly from the top. It should carry some of the sand into a gully to the bottom where it should flair outward. You may need several trials doing this till you get it just right. Get some photos of real alluvial fans by googling images of same so that you can compare your simulation with the real thing.

Michael Bentley, EdD, Expert Panelist