wanderingshopper
wanderingsh... asks:
Q:

I need ideas to help a nine year old learn multiplication.

In Topics: Helping my child with math

|
angeloflight
angeloflight writes:
I tutored a little girl who was having problems with math, and as it turned out, she did not know her multiplication tables, so it made it really hard for her.
I asked her about the things she found fun and interesting, and tried to use her interests in helping her to memorize the times tables. She liked music, so I had her make up a song about 8, including the multiplication of 8. She was able to memorize it pretty quickly from there.
There's the "magic of 9", where all of the answers will always add up to 9. Example: 9 x 8 = 72     7 + 2 = 9
I have also included a couple of websites that have multiplication games, if you allow your child to use the computer at home.
Most of all, be creative and try to have fun with numbers. I really struggled with math when I was about your child's age, and it wasn't until I found a teacher that helped me see that numbers and math could be fun, that I really excelled!
Best wishes! Have fun!

2
0
NitinS
NitinS writes:
I have a website for you that suits your needs very well. it provides free maths worksheets for kids of various age groups, to teach the kids multiplications, substraction, addition,division etc with the help of printable worksheets. you can print the worksheet and give it to your child. I am sure it will definately help you. The page link is given below:

0
0
bettylou
bettylou writes:
Program called Times Tales is great and inexpensive. Just look it up on internet.

0
0
TeacherSandyJane
TeacherSand... writes:
If you still need help I can send you some free pictures and rhymes for your child to color. They help a lot. They will be available at the end of February 2012 with the launching of TheTimesTable.com

0
0
grymalik
grymalik writes:
i learned my multipilication this way..i hope it will help ur student.

2 times 2 is = 4
now add 2 with 4 and u will get 6!

keep on adding equal num with sum of 2.

repeat it with all the multiplications...3times3=6 .....add6by3 to get next ans.

1
0
TeacherSandyJane
TeacherSand... writes:
Hello!

There is a brand new way for kids to learn those pesky multiplication facts  that is easy, fast, effective and fun. It can be found (with
freebies)  at a new site www.TheTimesTable.com  They use pictures and rhymes based on the shape of the factor (numbers being multiplied and sound of the product (the answer).    check out the URL below to quickly understand how it works.
www.thetimestable.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/04/hardcoversamples.pdf

hope this helps!

1
0
KayTyus
KayTyus writes:
Try going to the dollar and find a poster board size times table chart a hang it in his/her room. Or google an empty times table chart have him/her fill it in 2-3 times aweek.

1
0
philipsteele
philipsteele writes:
Yeah, first you need to teach the multiplication tables to your child. After that, start to give small problems to solve. Each day keep at least 1 hour for math. Definitely, you can teach them well. :)

0
0
I'makidbutcanhelp
I'makidbutc... writes:
Hi I was the same just go on sites such as WWW.aamath.com or gameaqurium I really hopes it works

~2014

0
0
DartR
DartR writes:
Learning the times tables can be frustrating for both you and your child, but it is well worth the effort.  I know many a student who is having trouble in junior high and high school because they have not yet memorized their multiplication tables.

There are a couple of important things to remember.  

1) Try to avoid frustration. If you or your child becomes frustrated it will effect their ability to learn. Remember a child can tell if you are frustrated.

2) Some students do well with flash cards, repetition (practice sheets or timed tests), or my least favorite "chanting" (repeated the tables in order  3,6,9,12,15,18. I don't like this because they have to go through 6 facts to get to 3x7)

3) If one approach isn't working for your child try to find different ways to present the material. Each of us has a learning style preference.  
Think about the different ways we get directions to someplace. (Draw me a map, tell me in words like turn right at this street, or give me landmarks like turn right at the gas station.) If your child a visual learner or kinesthetic learner, using the methods in number 2 above will probably not be successful.

Links below for Multiplication Education which uses multiple intelligences to teach the times tables, and an article that explains more about a child's learning style

0
0