themayhews
themayhews asks:
Q:

How or when does an IEP end or go away if my 3 yr old preschooler with "Developmental Delay" catches up and is in my opinion no longer delayed?

In Topics: Preschool, Learning issues and special needs, Special education

|

ChildSpeechLanguage

Your child's IEP team (consisting of experts such as a speech-language pathologist, physical therapist, and/or occupational therapist) will be keeping close track of the progress he or she is making toward their goals. The therapists should be giving you regular updates regarding the progress your child is making. Once all goals are met, the specialists may recommend discharging your child from therapy even if it is not yet the end of the IEP.

At any point, if you feel your child is not making progress, or you feel your child no longer needs therapy, you could request a re-evaluation and an IEP meeting with the entire IEP team. However, before doing that, it is best to talk over any concerns you have with your child's therapist(s) to make sure all of his/her needs are being adequately met and you feel good about the therapy your child is receiving.

4
0

Elliesmom
Elliesmom writes:
I would caution you to be careful of ending your child's IEP.  I have 2 children with autism.  My older son has a mild form of autism.  When he was 2 years old, I agreed to an IEP so I could get help for him.  I was afraid of him having an IEP - too much intrusion by outsiders.  I was annoyed and intimidated by a document and a process I didn't understand.  He had developmental delays too and I was desperate for him to be ok.
 As soon as he showed significant progress (he was 3) I asked that his IEP be ended.  That is your right as a parent - nobody can force you to have an Individualized Education Plan for your child.  The school district ended the IEP - case closed.  So I thought.

Now, my son is in 4th grade.  He did really well for a few years, then when he was in 2nd grade, he started having problems with ADHD & anxiety associated with his autism.  His reading comprehension was terrible.  He was struggling with social skills.  I asked that we start the evaluation process to get him back on an IEP, so he could get some extra help and support.  I was shut down almost immediatly.  The local AEA and the school district are still dragging their feet on agreeing to re-evaluate him.  
After his younger sister was diagnosed with classical autism, I threw myself into the process.  I learned from anyone I could how it works and what it can do for your child.  It's an awesome LEGAL document.  You can ask for any accomodation or resource that you feel would be good for your child and the school HAS to provide it and follow it to the letter.  Oh how I wish I would not have ended my son's IEP.   Because now he struggles daily and my daughter has everything she needs to succeed.  I'm sick over it.  So please, think carefully about the future before you end your child's IEP.  You never know what may happen and once he's off of it, it's nearly impossible to get him another one.  I speak from experience. Good luck.

1
0
Anonymous