confused_dad
confused_dad asks:
Q:

What happens to an IEP where both parents do not agree.

My wife usually get involved with the IEP. My son is now 10 (was diagnosed on the autism spectrum since age 2). Next year he is scheduled to go into Middle School.  I have been unemployed for the past year and spent a lot of time with him.  I also got involved in the last IEP.  My question is if I disagree with the current IEP but she agrees what happens?
In Topics: My Relationship with my child's school, Parenting / Our Family, Autism & Aspergers Syndrome

|

Hello and thank you for writing to JustAsk,

I know that transitions are very difficult for students who have learning challenges.  It seems that both of you wish for your son to have the transition happen as smoothly as possible.  I commend you for those efforts.  Perhaps, these suggestions may be useful for you:

1.It sounds as if you and your wife may need to pre-conference with school personnel before the official IEP meeting.   This may provide both you and your wife time to lay out the pros and cons of your sons' education.

2. Bring the IEP home with you and discuss it calmly in a relaxed environment before signing it (or not).  You are not required to sign an IEP, only to sign that you were in attendance (if you were) at the meeting.

3.  Consider bringing an impartial person with you, such as a parent who volunteers to help families with children in special education.  Your local school board should be able to provide you with names of advocates or volunteers.

Good luck and I wish your family well.

3
0
Anonymous