oldlady asks:

I'm 48 years old and I do not know how to read that good. I can read about the 4th grade.

In Topics: Learning issues and special needs

Hello and thank you for writing to JustAsk,

First- BRAVO to you for wanting to learn to read!!

Here are a few suggestions-

1- New readers (even adults from other countries) often learn by following along the open text captions on children's movies.  This is an excellent way to learn to read while seeing visual cues in movie form. You can rewind whenever you want to re-read something and study the spelling or grammar, too.

2- Some people learn language with programs such as Rosetta Stone.  They now have an ENGLISH version of their popular series.  (http://www.RosettaStone.com)

3- Many organizations have volunteers to help adult learners.  Also, community colleges often have programs. Look in the continuing education department of your local community college.

I wish you only the best of luck and congratulations for wanting to learn how to read and being motivated to succeed!

Best wishes-

Louise Sattler
Owner of Signing Familes™

rkaiulani writes:

It's wonderful that you are looking to develop your reading ability! It's never to late to gain new skills, and I applaud your interest. I would start by going to your local library and asking about the services there. Often, libraries have special programs to support adult learning and if not, they will know where to look next. I hope this helps. Good luck!