nassiba
nassiba asks:
Q:

How do I improve my child's behavior at school?

my child is in pre-k and his teacher complain every day that he do not listen to her, i do not know what to do it makes me feel very bed, he is very active and some times aggressive i really need help, i try almost every thing but without any result he is 4 years old

|

Thank you for contacting Education.com

Work with your son's teacher and ask her advice on what you can do at home to reinforce the rules and routines of his day at preschool. Many kids do very well with behavioral charts where they earn points for good behaviors. Maybe the teacher and you can sit down and work on a reward system which will carry through at home and at school.

Since your son is 4 years old and in a pre-k program, you are most likely considering sending him to school next year. It may be better to wait to start kindergarten until your son is closer to 6 years old. It never hurts to wait to start children, especially for boys who tend to be very active. Waiting to start children in school until they are an older 5 year-old or are already 6 years old, gives them an advantage. Please discuss this with your son's preschool teacher and his pediatrician for more information.

You can also call or e-mail our Hotline for more in depth advice and support. Our counselors are available 24 hours 7 days a week for parents.  Take care and best wishes to you and your son!

Cynthia, Counselor
1-800-448-3000
hotline@boystown.org

1
0

Hi nassiba,

Thanks for using JustAsk!

I'm sorry to hear that your child is having this trouble at school. Preschool can be a very tough age - your child is developing quickly, and it can be tough to deal with all the new changes, both for you and him.

It sounds like he may also be testing his limits with you and his teacher. Do your best to establish firm limits, and make sure to enforce them. Teach your child that he will not get what he wants when he talks back, or exhibits aggressive behavior. The good news: during his preschool years, he is ready to absorb new information quickly and easily. So, it's a good time to set up some rules.

Below, I'm including a couple articles that may provide you with some helpful tips for overcoming his behavioral issues.

0
0