hollypatnode
hollypatnode asks:
Q:

How do I help improve my 5th grader's study habits? She is extremely bright but is not doing well in school due to forgetting homeowrk and stuff.

In Topics: School and Academics, Learning issues and special needs, Motivation and achievement at school

|

Please connect with school officials, such as the guidance counselor to see if there is an "in house" program which can help motivate your son.

Also, many organizers are available, such as ACADEMIC PLANNER by Order Out of Chaos.  http://www.OrderOOChaos.com

And those available via Carolina Pad http://www.CarolinaPad.com

Louise Sattler, NCSP

0
0

LouiseSattler , Child Professional writes:

The School Counselor or School Psychologist may be able to help develop a functional behavior plan to help organize your child.

Also, there are special organizers created for students who have some disorganization tendencies. Order out of Chaos may be helpful.. http://www.OrderOOChaos.com

Louise Sattler, NCSP

0
0
LeanneLangan
LeanneLangan writes:
Being bright I am sure she enjoys competition. Set up a daily chart to record when homework is done. Surprise her with a reward at the end of the week, then slowly extend to 2 weeks, 3 weeks etc. The visual reward system works well for all children, and bright children really like the competition of seeing how they are doing.

0
0
LDSolutions
LDSolutions , Child Professional writes:
1.  Organize and simplify the directions: Keep the directions as simply stated as possible so that your child can remember them easily and not get lost in your words.  make the most important information stand out.  "Sara, I want you to get your jacket, get your backpack and put on your shoes, then come back here to me.  Got that?  Jacket, backpack, shoes.  Go!"

2.  Use multisensory strategies to help the memory:  You can sing and dance the directions with your child.  "jacket, backpack, shoes, yee-hah."

You can have your child clap his hands or tap the table fo reach step he needs to do.

3.  Teach your child to repeat the directions: Have your child repeat each direction a few times.  "Get out a piece of paper, a pencil and write your name at the top of the paper. Paper, pencil, name.  Paper, pencil, name."

4.  Make charts for procedures or routines that are repeated:  This is especially helpful for organizing and keeping a routine.  For example, if you have a list of items that need to be done each day before school you can create a checklist.  After your child completes a step, he or she can check that step off the list.  This will give your child some direction and keep the attention on the task at hand.

5.  Be supportive and stay positive: Nagging your child is not going to assist them in learning strategies and skills to follow directions.  You can provide support for your child by:

- Prompting your child for listening skills.  "I am going to give you the directions, I would like you to please look at me so I know you are listening."

- Asking your child how you can provide a reminder for them without nagging them.  They might suggest a hand gesture or a tap on the wall, a wink of the eye, etc.

- Offering understanding when your child feels frustration.  "I understand it is hard to keep track of doing so much at once.  Would you like me to help you put together a list that we could start checking off after each step?"

- Praising your child often.  If they don't complete the task praise them for making an effort.  If your child fails to complete a task, encourage him/her to try to get it finished.  Use positive encouragement.

For more tips and strategies on keeping the focus and attention while studying - I attached a link for you.

Good Luck to you and your daughter!

0
0
Anonymous