Q:

What can  I do to help improve my son's writing ability? He has just been diagnosed with Dysgraphia.  

"He is going into the third grade."

Asked by Sharon in commenting on the article, "3rd Grade Writing: What Happens": http://www.education.com/magazine/article/third...  
In Topics: Helping my child with writing, Learning disabilities

|

Techniques for helping a child with dysgraphia may be available via your local school special education team, including an occupational therapist.

Also, there are several ways to help a child using the computer and tablets with dysgraphia.

Best wishes- Louise Sattler

0
0

We have a Dysgraphia portal that might help you out. It includes some valuable information on the subject -- as well as tips on working with kids with Dysgraphia.

I'm including the link below. Good luck!

1
0
duribe
duribe writes:
very simple use fonts 4 teachers!!!

0
1
TeacherandParent
TeacherandP... writes:
My son has been a seriously dysgraphic person. It's almost as if he's had a stroke - his brain just doesn't seem to have the ability to write. He speaks very well and a lot - he can speak rapidly and express himself well but he cannot write. Fortunately these days there are programs than can help with that.
Do you have an Iphone? There is a free app - for Iphones and computers - called Dragon Dictation. It's amazing - you talk and it types up what you've dictated to it. It's free and works well. I hand my Iphone to students who are struggling to write and they speak into the Dragon Dictation app and it types - just like that - what they are saying.

In the old days there were voice recognition programs and voice dictations programs that did not work well at all but in these new days, I'd recommend this free app to you. The price is right... and it works well too.

Otherwise, let him speak and you type up what he's saying when he has writing assignments. There is no quick fix or sure cure for dysgraphia. There's a book called Why Johnny Can't Write and it's worth reading.

0
0
TeacherandParent
TeacherandP... writes:
Dysgraphia doesn't respond well to intervention. People use that word to just mean bad handwriting but serious dysgraphia goes much deeper than that.
My son is dysgraphic and what worked best was typing for him while he was young. Over the years things improved somewhat but it took time and lots of patience. Sometimes dysgraphia children are better with a keyboard. There is also a free app for iPhones that takes voice dictation really well and types as the child speaks - Dragon Dictation.

0
0