Bigsis122
Bigsis122 asks:
Q:

How can I get my Book Club students some positive recognition? These are inner city children and need some positive attention.

Hi I'm a after school teacher (OST program ) I have 2ND graders ( 25 students ). I help them with homework. The program also have other activities for them like computers, dance, music, arts & crafts, etc. Well my class has a reading club that I am very proud of its stated out slow be now we read much more . The first year i started that group only read 255 books ( Sept~june) and some children reading has improved. Now this year my class read 863 books (Sept~April) I have not add on May yet. These children are amazing they do homework and are ready to get to the their reading. I can't write all I want to say in this article. But My question is How can I get my Book clubbers some positive recognition in a big town (New York) These are inner city children and need some positive attention. I open for some suggestion I was surfing the web and came across this site. I been writing whom ever. Can You Please Help...If not thank you for just reading this.
In Topics: Helping my child with reading, Motivation and achievement at school

|
hlevitan
hlevitan , Teacher writes:
Hello BigSis,

It sounds like your book club has done a great job tackling many different reads this school year.  I am glad to hear that you are proud of your book club, and they definitely deserve positive reinforcement!

I remember participating in an after-school book club while in elementary school. We were reading a book about hot air balloons. At the end of the school year the sponsor of the club surprised us with a treat for our end of the year book club party: beautiful cup cakes with frosting designs of hot air balloons!  I remember being thrilled and really excited. Perhaps you can reward your book clubbers with an end of the year party treat!  

You can also plan an end of the year celebration field trip. Is there a particular book that your club read that relates to a fun and educational site in New York, like the Metropolitan Museum of Art or a botanic garden?  Perhaps you can write to a non-profit or people at the site you wish to tour asking if they can sponsor your students coming for a field trip that would be at no cost for the students.

Here is a list of fun and educational sites in New York where you can take your students:
http://www.education.com/magazine/article/New_York/

You can also make your last book club meeting a field trip to Central Park.  You can have the students each pick their favorite books, and have them read aloud to other book clubbers in the park.  You can also take your students to book readings at local book stores, or plan to have an author visit a book club meeting and real aloud to the students.

Here is another fun activity you can do during a book club session:

Make a Reading Bookmark
http://www.education.com/activity/article/make_a_reading_bookmark_second/

I hope you find this information helpful. Best wishes finding a fun and meaningful way of rewarding your devoted book clubbers!

Best,

Hayley

2
0
ilovechefwilliam
ilovechefwi... , Teacher, Caregiver writes:
Wow! You are doing a Fantastic job!  It seems like the interest in reading has really increased.  Have you talked to the principal of the school?  They often have great ideas.  I know that our local pizza place donated free buffet cards for an activity that we did.  For our Caldecott awards the students who read at least 25 books get their name called to go on stage and receive a certificate.  It is a very special event and parents and school staff are invited.  I hope you are able to figure out a way to continue to promote reading!  It looks like you are on the right track already :)  One other thought, have you thought about personally writing a letter to one of the authors or illustrators of a popular book among your crowd?  Good luck!

0
0
makingthegradetutoring
makingthegr... writes:
Go on the websites of your local Sports Teams' websites.  Sometimes their community activities include encouraging children to read.  Some programs have prizes and in some cases, one of the players will come and read to the kids and encourage them to keep up the good work.  I didn't have time to look at all your teams, but did notice that the New York Islanders Hockey team has a program Blades for Grades where kids can get 2 complimentary tickets for A's or improving a whole letter grade. I would encourage you to look at all of the other team's websites and see what they offer.  You might even write to some of the players to see if any are interested in doing a visit.  Many newer players like to begin to establish a fan base and enjoy helping their new communities.  You might also do something like find people in the community that the children might look up to that would come a read a story to the children and congratulate them on their achievement.  It takes some time and some letter-writing, but many people who have come from inner-city themselves love to give back and inspire other kids who are striving to achieve so much.  Also check with local book stores.  Some reward kids who read a certain number of books with a free book (especially some of their summer programs.)

0
0