Anonymous
Q:

Need any input/opinions on schools. Child is 3 years old, performing at 2nd grade level.

My 3.5 year old child emotionally is right on target. He relates to classmates as expected. Learning to share, learning that there are rules for school and that he must follow them, etc. I am extremely happy that he is in a perfect preschool for him and will go back next year as a 4 year old.

My problem is that he is reading, writing (no longer printing, as it slows him down), and performing math and comprehension at a 2nd grade level. His critical thinking skills surpass that or our older child. I do not believe in putting children ahead grade levels. I do not want my son at 9 years old to be socializing with 11 year old or older. I don't think that would be appropriate.

We are currently augmenting his learning with music lessons. Music is his passion, but more modern and less Mozart. He also takes foreign language, not that I hope for him to be fluent. But the exposure at a young age is so beneficial. The music lesson is 30 min a week. The language is 1 hour a week. The preschool meets for a total of 6 hours a week.

The rest of the time is play, and lots and lots of reading. He also has a passion for books - like his mom.

I am not posting to brag. It means nothing to me if my child is academically a high achiever; yet an unhappy outsider. I want him to keep his passion for learning while keeping him a child. He needs to be with kids his own age.

Our K program will not challenge him, what are my options? SW Chicago Suburbs. TY
In Topics: Choosing a school, My gifted child

|
ronald
ronald writes:
I think you are already doing the right things. One of the most critcal areas for your child at this age is to focus on social and emotional development. At this age it is also very important for kids to learn how to get along with others and how to share. I do believe you should  have your child tested to confirm your belief that your child is gifted. When your child enters Kindergarten, and if your child is gifted, you may want to involve your child in gifted educational programs. Please note the links below. For the first link, near the bottom of the page you will see information on social and emotional activities for 4 year olds.

0
0
thfmom
thfmom writes:
I'm curious as to why you are so adamantly opposed to acceleration? Children in the EG/PG range need time with academic peers. They need to be surrounded by others who understand what they are talking about. A fear that he will be exposed to things that he doesn't need to know yet isn't really valid as if he is reading at their level, he's already learning what they would teach him.

If you're not willing to consider grade skips, think about partial day accelerations. Will the school allow him to go to 2nd or 3rd grade for reading group?

I would strongly consider having him tested when he is a little older as information is the key to being a successful advocate for your child whatever path you choose.

If he is already that far ahead of his age mates, he will find K boring. He will quickly come to view school as invalid, a complete waste of time. Homeschooling is an option that many with GT kids choose as they can "feed the monster" while not exposing their child to older children in accelerated classrooms.

My son, now 7 was very much like yours at that age. You need to lose the picture of an average child and work to give this one what he needs. EG/PG kids have very different requirements to be happy. I would also recommend that you look at the Davidson Institute website, an organization specifically in place as a resource for GT kids. Their forums are full of parents dealing with the same issues you are facing.

1
0