LouiseSattler , Child Professional asks:
Q:

I am interested in knowing if people will support the National Education Association initiative to support the teachers Jobs Package and more?

As an educator, I have grave concerns that our schools will have less teachers, programs, materials or support come 2011. There are proposals throughout the nation that plan on the cutting teaching jobs, the performing arts programs, sports, foreign language studies and much, much more!

I am curious as to whether parents, educators and other readers here on Education.com have knowledge about this situation?  What people think after reading the National Education Association information (which is also available state by state).

I also am interested if people would contact their elected officials on this matter or not?

In my opinion, it defies reason why we would cut anything in an education budget.  I would recommend adding teaching positions, funding the arts, sports , foreign language programs and other components that help shape our children in to well-rounded students.  I look forward to learning more from others and gaining knowledge about what is the pulse of  Education.com readers.

If you wish for more information please check out these links:

http://capwiz.com/nea/home/  

Owner of Signing Families
Host of Learning and Laughter with Louise (HerInsight - www.toginet.com)

Member Added on May 20, 2010
Update- thank you all for adding your comments.  Please note that if you are concerned about this issue that time is "of the essence" as the vote could be before Congress as soon as next week- (before Memorial Day).  I thought you may wish to know this information.  
In Topics: School and Academics, Working with my child's teacher(s), Parent Teacher Association (PTA)

|

Louise,
Having been an educator for many years, I am saddened when teachers and other important positions are cut. Funding is a major issue in all states. Parents and other stakeholders need to be informed about what this means to their children. The education of American children needs to be a top priority and not just rhetoric. Sports, fine arts, foreign language, technology and other electives are necessary to developing well-rounded, competent students. I will read the NEA initiative and support this through contacting my legislators. Thanks for raising the red flag!!

2
0

BrilliantEssence
BrilliantEs... writes:
Great question, Louise! I am one of many parents who are foreign to what goes on behind the scenes, although I do get a glimpse of the political and financial interests of such issues.
My voice only being heard through that of my husband, I try to share my desires for my children's education through my work, and to gauge the winds through my friends and community.
There I have found that charter and private schools, as state schools in my district, do a phenomenal job merging the true needs of the children with the acknowledged evolution of our society, regardless of restrictions, although often painfully experienced. I see parents and educators coming together to fulfill basic needs, volunteers and businesses helping each other to continue to offer lost curriculums such as arts, music and crafts, and I see great personal wealth expressed through the children involved.
However, it has come to my observation also, that institutions, private or public, that do not hold the child's requirements in highest regards, other than those relative to basic well-being and educational satisfaction, having lost the very practices that help balance a student through creative and inspiring work, fail also to see that the children are not as happy and self-empowered as those who do.
I would definitely encourage everyone to vote for the re-enactment of courses in music, arts, crafts, woodwork, etc. as these offer every child the opportunity to develop his creativity and the more subtle connections of his right brain (emotional intelligence, energetic knowledge), in balance with his left brain activities (logic, math, sciences, memory etc.) which ultimately bring the world to a better place of balance.

Astrid Stromberg, Ph.D.
Former President to the United Nations Association, N.Cal.Division
Psychic, mother of 2 and host of Brilliant Essence (Her Insight network on www.toginet.com)

below, link to Global Classrooms UNA-USA programs - FYI

3
0
sharonteaches
sharonteaches writes:
I, too, am appalled that we would ever consider cutting funding and programs in schools. Our schools are training the next generation. We need them to be as well rounded, and well versed as possible. Cutting funding and programs doesn't seem to accomplish that goal. I think we all need to stand up and tell our elected officials what we want them to do and not do with regard to our children. After all when our children grow up they will be taking care of us and the planet, I want smart well rounded people to do that!

4
0
Allyzari
Allyzari writes:
I am with you Louise!  Why Education is ever on the chopping block when it comes to budget cuts is beyond me! We owe it to our children to give them a chance at the best future possible. How can we expect to remain a powerful country when knowledge is it stake? Knowledge truly is the most powerful resource we will ever have. Teachers, for centuries, have had the most thankless jobs there are, and yet the ones who have stuck around despite how they have been treated (not to mention how they have been paid) are true heroes. Its time we give them what they need to educate our precious children.

5
0
Betheng
Betheng writes:
Louise, thank you for highlighting these issues for me.  As a former Kindergarten teacher I can not agree with you more!  We need more funds for teacher positions and for the arts, sports and other programs.  I was a high school tennis player which was instrumental in helping me stay on track and reach my goals in high school and after.  I will contact my state representative TODAY!!

3
0
MColwell
MColwell writes:
Thank you very much for this information. I was unaware of the site, checked it out and easily filled the form to send my concerns to my elected officials. As a very concerned parent of 3 small children, I voted to INCREASE my sales tax - yes, pay more in a down economy - in hope that art, music, and other programs will stay in the curriculum. We need to stay invested in the future of our nation through our education system.

3
0
SharonD
SharonD writes:
This is such an important issue Louise, thank you for highlighting it.  Locally, we just lost our librarians, two school secretaries and two of our teachers (in the arts of course).  It truly is a tragedy.  There is a local protest scheduled, but I am getting the word out in every way I can on this important vote.

3
0
ltdmomsfromnj
ltdmomsfromnj writes:
Hi Louise -

I am a parent of 3 children, one in High School and 2 in Middle School.  Our town seems to be hit the hardest in New Jersey.  We just cut 85 teachers in a matter of two weeks.  Our clubs, athletics and music programs are gone but wait...if you want to pay anywhere from $150-$350 you can pay to play.  If a teacher is not tenured, they just got the pink slip.  Our classes will be huge and the kids will get lost in the shuffle.  And you are right, there will be more drop outs and more drug issues with our kids because they won't have any extra curricular activities to fall back on.  Why is education the place to make the cuts??  Education is America.   Everyone is shocked here and our budget was voted down because they didn't want higher taxes.  Well, now the taxes will be raised anyway and our education system is going down the tubes!

2
0
Jemsmama
Jemsmama writes:
This is one of those cases where time is of the essence. I didn't know about the Education Jobs Fund until a friend told me, then I went to www.educationvotes.nea.org and I began to contact my congressional representatives using the NEA's site : http://www.capwiz.com/nea/issues/alert/?alertid=15045411&type=co
I typed in my zipcode and I was given all the information I needed so I could contact my representatives immediately and tell them how important this bill is to me and my family. It took me less than 3 minutes to have my voice heard. I am an Autism Mom so my time is limited, but it is so important to me that I be an advocate for my child's educational needs. I think if more parents knew how easy it is to notify their legislators they would do it too. The bottom line is - This is up to us. If we don't speak up for our kids and their education who will?

2
0
Anonymous