familywoodson
familywoodson asks:
Q:

international school or not?

My 5 years old son speaks Cantonese with me and Mandarin with my husband, he started going to playgroup/preschool (English speaking) since he was 2. He had speech delay issue but now has improved a lot. I would say he speaks okay both in Mandarin and Cantonese. On the contrary, his English is not very good (he understands more than he speaks). Maybe because he's more of a quiet kid and he doesn't talk a lot at school and he's our only child so he pretty much speaks Chinese at home with us (and watches a lot of Cartoon in Chinese as well). He's going to attend kindergarden soon and I'm planning to send him to an international school where they've Mandarin full immersion program for kindergarden (meaning all subjects are taught in Mandarin, they start teaching English as an subject starting grade 1 and they teach Music/Art/PE in English as well). I do want him to continue to learn Chinese but at the same time I'm worried that his English will be weak. Here're my question:

1. Since he has the opportunity to expose to Chinese, should I send him to a regular school where he can learn to be fluent in English first then send him to that international school later?

All my friends said I'm worried too much about my son not speaking good English. They said once he started going to school (even if the class is taught in Chinese) and start having friends, he'll not want to speak Chinese anymore, any inputs will be very much appreciated it!
In Topics: School and Academics, Learning a second language

|
MamaChuang
MamaChuang writes:
My husband is originally from Taiwan whilst I am born and raised here in the U.S.  Our daughter has for the past several years attended a Chinese language school, for several hours every Saturday.  If English is to be his main language, according to our daughter's teacher, children have to get to a certain point in their English learning/development before starting things like Pinyin, or else their English learning can be much more difficult.  www.chineseforfamilies.com if you wanted to ask her opinion.

Regards,

Jr Mama Chuang

1
0
Tpatel5
Tpatel5 writes:
You should not send him to a regular school. I am going to be a future teacher and I had to talk a class about students who's first language isn't english. I learned that Dual language programs are the most effective for students to learn english and learn in general. He will be able to stay at grade with his other peers because his teachers will be able to explain math and science concepts to him in Mandarin. Plus he'll be fluent in two languages and he might be social with other students, because they can speak Mandarin.

0
0
CBrimmer
CBrimmer writes:
Send him to the international school. Dual immersion works wonders for developing both languages simultaneously. I grew up on a military base where there were upwards of ten languages being spoken by the students, though the teachers and my parents spoke only English. You would be surprised at how much of other languages I managed to just pick up on with only my friends speaking it, and even then only when they didn't know the English word.

0
0
samiras506
samiras506 writes:
As My Knowledge International schools provide a wide vista of subjects and activities to choose from & hence, it provides children the perfect environment to nurture their skills & competencies which are different from one child to another. The international schools also follow different teaching methodologies to help students to better understand the concepts.

Another reason is the state of the art facilities provided by the international schools. My nephews have been studying in Inventure Academy International School in Bangalore for the last three years. They simply love to go to school and when asked about it, their description of school is enough to tell me that it’s because schooling has been made fun for them. These schools make it a point to adopt teaching methods which shall be best suited to children of the particular age group.

0
0