Zazz
Zazz asks:
Q:

How do I introduce the alphabet (in what order) when teaching Pre-K and Kindergarten?

In Topics: Helping my child with reading

|
Tchesai
Tchesai writes:
I like to spend the first week learning the basic strokes involved in writing. These would be the circle, straight line, slant right, and slant left. These can be on lined or unlined paper depending on the children’s ages and ability. I like using lined paper when possible because it is easier to learn it this way in the beginning rather than trying to learn it again later. This being said, if your students are too young I would suggest using unlined paper if you are going to start handwriting.

I normally start with the letters that are easiest phonetically and to produce in my handwriting class.
T t is my favorite letter to start with because it is both easily written and the sound made for the letter T is heard at the beginning of the spoken word Tee. *B b is another letter that follows the same pattern with phonics. It is slightly harder to write, but if you follow the strokes mentioned above most students can master it quite easily. Continue  introducing letters in this manner making sure not to alphabetize.

* I tell my children to put an imaginary top curve of the capital B on the lower case b in order to                                                                                        check for the difference between lower case b and d.

2
0
lynellen
lynellen writes:
Handwriting Without Tears has a great preschool curriculum that is developmentally based.  Its important to begin with the strokes that are appropriate for the child's age: 3 yrs old: vertical lines and horizontal lines, beginning curved lines.  Diagonal perception comes in between 4 and 5 years of age.  More developmental skills specific to handwriting may be found on the brochures at www.lynaot.com or with the 10 Handwriting Questions on lynslines.wordpress.com

1
0