Q:

What is an IOP therapy group?

Asked by Marie via Contact Us:

My husband and I are told that our stepson is an IOP therapy group. We understand he talks "therapy" and is supposed to do his homework there, but he says they just let him go outdoors and play, and do the therapy with the other kids. I hope you can explain what an IOP is. By the way, he is in 6th grade, is in a contained class, and is mainstreamed for two specials
In Topics: Special needs

|
Hi Marie,

Being unclear about what this therapy program entails sounds like a frustrating situation. I hope I'm able to help shed some light!

IOP stands for Intensive Outpatient Program, where individuals are typically seen as a group between 2 to 5 times a week, for several hours per session. It may be the case that the style of therapy involves "play therapy" and there is actually a strategy to the therapy. However, I think it would be worth checking in with the therapy group's coordinator to determine what their strategy is exactly. While you may not technically have the right to ask these questions (being his stepmom), your husband should certainly have the right to inquire into his son's treatment program.

Hope this helps, and good luck!

1
0
llberrier
llberrier writes:
I find it interesting that they would call it "IOP".  IOP generally refers to "Intensive Outpatient Program".....although generally it is a lesser level of care than inpatient treatment.  IOP is a term that was used mostly in the 1990s when managed care came into the picture and figured out the clinical hours that were provided inpatient, and then provided that same number of hours outpatient with the person going home rather than to a unit.  IOP usually refers to alcohol and drug, which is why I thought it was odd that it would be used for a class of children, although I suppose the term itself could refer to any clinical group of people who are provided clinical services (group, individual counseling or other service) on an outpatient basis.

0
0