Bnstice
Bnstice asks:
Q:

In Kentucky, how do I find out who makes the final decision on Kindergarten retention?  The parent or the teacher?  If the teacher, is there an appeal

I need to know who has a final say in Kentucky on Kindergarten retention.  My child reads very well and has very good math scores.  The teacher mostly has a problem with his shyness, which I don't believe is a sufficient reason to hold him back. I'm not blaming the teacher, but I would like to know my rights.

Question asked after reading: http://www.education.com/reference/article/Ref_...
In Topics: Kindergarten readiness, Working with school administrators, State education standards

|

Ask for the school district's Parental Rights Handbook, which usually applies to Special Education. The parent usually makes the final decision based on recommendations of the teacher. Talk to the school counselor about your concerns. The school counselor's role is the child advocate for educational issues.

You may also want to investigate the reasons for retention. They may include lack of progress in reading, math, or writing skills or immature behavior. What support has your child received to remedy the issues and prepare the child for 1st grade transition?

1
0

BMelton , Teacher writes:

1
0
Anonymous