RAJEEV75
RAJEEV75 asks:
Q:

Kid born in USA for Indian Origin Parents

I have been transferred from India to New York, USA on L1 visa in June 2008 with my family. My son born in Sep 2008 in New York, USA. He has USA passport and PIO card to visit India.

I will be returning to India in July 2012 for good. I have several queries about the citizenship status and PIO card :

1. Whether USA passport will be valid or I need to apply fresh Passport in India. What will be my son's status in India. Can he get Indian citizenship once we reach in India or I have to surrender USA citizenship and apply for Indian citizenship.

2.What will be validity of USA paasport ( at present it is 5 years), I need to apply again and if yes, How ?

3.What about PIO card validity ( at present it is 15 years), I need to apply again and if yes, How ?

4.Whether he will be treated as Indian or foreigner during his education in schools or college.

5. In case we surrender the USA citizenship and opt for Indian citizenship, whether he will get any chance to get his USA citizenship once he become Major?

6. What is the benefit and drawback for a kid having USA passport in India?

I will really appreciate if someone can response / clarify my doubt because I am getting different opinion from different places or sites.

Rajeev Kumar
In Topics: Parenting / Our Family

|