toby77
toby77 asks:
Q:

should a kid that is a bully ever be considered a role model by the school?

my kid was bullied a year ago, where two girls ripped my daughters shirt from her body , and tried to drag her out of the girls dressing room.there was no teacher present in the dressing room ( he is a guy teacher) . they made her dress the rest of the year in his office and had 4th grade monitors instead of teachers or adults watching for trouble. I recently was at a school assembly on Friday and the principle announced the new school council members and called them role models that they( being all students) should try to be like the council members and low and behold there was my child's bully! I was in shock and preceded to call the school and school board to find out how they could ever consider her a role model for our school after what she did to my child. i am waiting for the call from the school board to see why and what they intend to do. I would like to sue them for this atrocity.
In Topics: Children and stress

|

MomSOS

This is certainly a troubling incident, and bears looking into.
I think you have taken the right course of action to speak to the school and the board. I support you speaking up.
Unless we all speak up about bullying, it is likely to continue to be a problem.
You did not say whether you followed this same route of communication after the incident in the dressing room.  Hopefully, you did.  A good rule of thumb is to follow up on these upsetting, inappropriate incidents right away.
If you are serious about legal action, a consultation with a lawyer would be your next step.  Good luck. Let us know how this turns out.

Bette J. Freedson, LICSW, LCSW, CGP
Clinical Social Worker
http://www.singlemomsos.com/index.html

0
0