Anonymous
Q:

How to get kids excited about reading?

I loved this article about bringing art history to life. How can I get my kids excited about reading? They never want to turn off the TV, but I really want my kids to read.

Question asked after reading: http://www.education.com/magazine/article/bring...
In Topics: Helping my child with reading, Recommended Books

|

Best Answer!

What worked for a couple of my kids turned out to be simple and obvious.  They got excited about reading when they found something exciting to read.  In their case, Harry Potter.

HP was all the rage at the time.  We bought the books the day they were released, including, for me, attending an extravaganza at Barnes & Noble in Manhattan into the wee hours of the morning.  That made bringing the book home even more exciting.

What are kids talking about in your community?  Are there books that their friends are excited ab out?  Peer pressure isn't always a negative.  Use it if you can.

6
1

MyTwoKiddos
MyTwoKiddos writes:
As for the TV, I would unplug it! : ) For the rest, I would have to agree with the previous answer. They need to enjoy what they're reading. Once you find something they love, check out this website for ideas for similar topics. They're never too old to share a good book with mom or dad!

2
0
CloBo
CloBo writes:
I suggest you try showing them how fun it can be if they try. They may then start to like Reading

2
0
DeviousDevin
DeviousDevin , Teacher writes:
I think it is important to expose kids to books that interest them.  If students like technology or struggle reading, find some good online interactive books.  Here's an article with some great free online sites with interactive books for kids.

2
0
yazzieabby
yazzieabby writes:
Hello friend, you can easily make your kids interested in reading by buying excellent books for them.

0
0