Redwood_City_Mom
Redwood_Cit... asks:
Q:

What are your kids' favorite "non-kid" meals?

I recently decided that I was going to stop making two dinners each night (one for kids and one for grown ups) and that my kids (ages 4 & 6) were going to have to eat what our family is having for dinner or go to bed hungry (REALLY hard for me!).

So I'm looking for meals that they're likely to eat that my husband and I might also enjoy. (i.e. a step above chicken nuggets and macaroni and cheese but not quite pan seared tuna).

I'd love to hear about any meals your kids love that the adults in your family love too!

Thanks!
In Topics: My picky eater

|
Danielle

Best Answer!

We eat tacos just about every week. I cook turkey meat with some (very small chopped) onion and garlic, plus cumin, chili seasoning, and a little curry powder. Then I put bowls on the table that each have one ingredient-- tomatoes, beans, lettuce, salsa, cheese, chopped broccoli, etc. Everyone gets a soft whole wheat tortilla and can fill their own with the ingredients they choose. At this point, my son mostly eats the meat and cheese, but as he grows, after watching us eat healthier and "just trying" a few bites of other things, his palette will expand-- it worked for my brother and I!... I also cook risotto with chicken sausage and veggies-- picky eaters can eat around the veggies. For sneakier options, check out Missy Chase Lapine's recipes on this site:
http://www.education.com/magazine/column/Sneaky_Chef/
2
1

chemteacher
chemteacher writes:
We started "you chose" nights with the kids where they each had to pick a meal each week that was from a cookbook or website. Since kids generally pick from pictures, make sure the book has loads of them. Picture Me Cooking has a picture of every recipe in full color and there is no Mac n Cheese or nuggets in the book. They also have a website with new recipes weekly. Another great food website (below) includes a picture of every recipe. Good luck!

2
0
Hi!
I laughed when I read this because, I've been there.  Here's some ideas that my children 5 & 8 will eat that we also enjoy.

Hamburger steak with mushroom gravy (just buy the brown gravy mix packets & cook according to package directions, when the gravy begins to bubble, add fresh, washed & sliced mushrooms-they cook really quickly) serve with
Garlic Mashed Potatoes or regular mashed potatoes
Rolls

Chef Salads
For the kids, there is no extra work involved-I just leave out the lettuce & tomato

Stew with crackers

Chicken Casserole

Pinto Beans cooked with ham
Cornbread muffins

Shrimp (cooked about any way you'd like:fried, steamed, boiled)
French Fries or Baked Potato
Hush puppies

Meatloaf
Green beans with whole new potatoes
Corn on Cob

Chili Beans (brown hamburger, drain, add a seasoning pack, can of light red kidney beans and petite diced tomatoes)serve with shredded cheddar cheese sprinkled on top, maybe a dollop of sour cream and crackers

Tacos, chicken or beef (soft shell)
Refried Beans and chips
Guacamole

Lasagna or Stuffed shells, baked spaghetti and most any pasta dish, serve with garlic toast and salad.  I give the kids applesauce or again, just leave out the lettuce and tomato.

Ham steaks
Deviled Eggs

Lemon pepper chicken (whole chicken washed, place in crock-pot, add a little water, sprinkle with lemon pepper and cook on low about 7-8 hours.

Stewed Beef (cook in crock pot, use broth to make gravy)

Bar-B-Q, cook roast in crock-pot, remove fat and add sauce of choice, make sandwiches or plates with hush puppies, baked beans, potato salad

Of course there is hot dogs, cheeseburgers, pizza,chicken fillet, roast beef or beef brisket.

Here's some ideas, just play around, I also found that it helps if I let the kids help me cook.  They seem to eat better if they helped fix it.  They will eat most veggies if with a cheese sauce (on stove top over medium heat, add Velveeta, cut into cubes with a little milk & stir-add milk to make sauce as thin or smooth as you like)
I found that the more they are exposed to "new" foods, the quicker their tastes mature.  It'll get easier.  Best wishes!

2
0