ewewitch1 asks:

What do I tell kids when I am not invited?

My kids live with their dad and I am not invited to Thanksgiving.  What do I tell the kids? (ages 10, 8 and 6)
In Topics: Communicating with my child (The tough talks), Blended families

Hello and Thank you for writing to JustAsk,

First, apologies for not answering this before the Thanksgiving holiday.  In essence, to explain this situation you may wish to do the following:

1- Assure them that you are cared for an have a place to go with people who love you during the holidays. And that being with their dad on this day is not a betrayal to you.

2- Tell them that you will have "your time" at another family event/holiday. And, that this is agreed upon with both parents to make sure that all are happy during the holidays.

3- Let them know that they can connect with you via phone to wish you a happy holiday on days you don't have them and vice versa, if this is possible by your custody and visitation agreement.