Q:

I have kids with learning disabilities and I am trying to get them to like to read.

how do I do this when they struggle so hard??? any suggestions?

Asked by a member on our Education.com fan page.
https://www.facebook.com/Education.comFanPage
In Topics: Helping my child with reading, Motivation and achievement at school, Learning disabilities

|

There are many fun techniques you can use for helping a child to like to read.  Here are a few suggestions:

!- Puppet Shows.  Have children learn to make puppets, write scripts for their puppets and then put together and perform a puppet show. This is an activity that can be completed over a long time vs. in one day.  Therefore, needing reading for how to design, dress and operate a puppet. As well as, what the puppets should do and say.

2- Trips to museums, zoos and grocery stores. This is a fun and interactive way for children to learn to read common and uncommon vocabulary without having to be at a desk!

3- Read to younger children.  Kids who read to others tend to become more solid readers themselves.

4- Closed captioning. Turn the sound OFF of a video or television show and let the children read the closed captioning.  A very powerful tool for learning to read, often used by those who are learning English as their second language.

Thanks for writing!

Louise Sattler
School Psychologist

1
0
Anonymous