marisol12345
marisol12345 asks:
Q:

should i make my kids to read  a lot?

In Topics: Helping my child with reading, Private School

|

This is a very good question.  Since I don't know how old your children are, this question is a little tricky to answer.  I see that you have read an article referring to preschool children.  In this case the answer is an adult needs to read to them daily.  When you read aloud to children it does many positive things:

Encourages a love for reading - reading is fun!

Points out concepts of print - how to turn pages, reading from left to right, noting the pictures go along with the words, etc.

Increases vocabulary - many picture books are filled with fantastic vocabulary that is above the child's speaking vocabulary.

Exposes different genres like fantasy, mystery, historical fiction - don't forget the nonfiction.  Kids love to learn about nature, how things work, events, counties, etc.

Explores different types of text - not only picture books, but things like menus, maps, brochures, and even advertisements.  don't be afraid to mix it up.

Research has shown that children that are exposed to reading/text daily do better in school and on standardized tests.  They also become life-long readers and thinkers.

Hope that helps and happy reading!

Barb K
www.LessonPop.com

0
0

JeanneBrockmyer
JeanneBrock... writes:
It's good that you are wondering how to help your children be successful.  However, especially for beginning readers it is very important that reading be viewed as something that is enjoyable, not something they are made to do.  I would recommend having interesting, age-appropriate books available, or magazines if your child resists books.  Children often enjoy going to the library to choose their own books.  Or, you could choose a book that you will read together as many families did with the Harry Potter series.  Or, you might find stories and articles for them to read online.  It's ok to ask that your children read something in addition to schoolwork for a short time several times a week.  If they are not eager readers I'd keep the expectation to no more than a half hour in addition to homework, maybe 3 times a week depending on their schedules. But most important, help them see how much reading will open doors for them.

Jeanne H. Brockmyer, Ph. D.
education.com expert clinical child psychologist

0
0
MissCook
MissCook writes:
I am a HUGE advocate for reading. I myself love to read whether it be for research I'm passionate about or for fun, I always settle into bed before I fall asleep to read my latest selection. Personally I think you should encourage your child to read as much as possible. Find rewards for reading that will keep them motivated. Read to them to model how advanced readers read. Read yourself so that your child sees that reading is enjoyable and beneficial. So many people today are illiterate or hate to read and that is sad. Reading is better than sitting in front of the TV and fosters the imagination. Encourage your child to read as much as you can!

0
0
MooGirl44
MooGirl44 writes:
I think so. When your children gets older, they may get dementia, if their reading level is low.

0
0
TeacherandParent
TeacherandP... writes:
Research shows that children should read 20-30 minutes a day in a comfortable book to continually improve their reading skills.

0
0
Anonymous