Q:

Is there some kind of medication for a sensitive child?

"I can not bring my 9 year old anywhere without him completely crying."

Asked by Dodie in commenting on the article, "Raising a Sensitive Child": http://www.education.com/magazine/article/Raisi...
In Topics: My child's growth and development, Parenting / Our Family, Anxiety

|

Dodie:

The real issue is to discover why a nine year old is crying.  Is there a concern of his about leaving home, safety, strangers?  No, there is no medicine per se for sensitivity; however, get to the root of the problem.  A visit to his pediatrician may give some light on the situation.  I would also suggest checking out parent tips on the Columbia University's website on child anxiety.

I would check with his team (psychiatrist and therapist) and let them know about his social isolation.  Some times the team needs to re group with the school and/or sometimes a therapeutic school is necessary. the other question always is is the diagnosis correct i.e. ADD and anxiety.?

1
0

Dr.Monika , Child Professional writes:
Being excessively emotional and crying a lot might indicate that your child is stressed out emotionally or depressed.  Please make an appointment with his health care provider as soon as possible for an evaluation.

Suggested reading:

Can children be depressed?

http://www.pluggedinparents.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=450&Itemid=0

2
0
dodiedee
dodiedee writes:
My son has been evaluated a number of time, he was diagnosed with anxiey and ADHD, he is on medications for these and is also seeing a child pyshicatirst and pyscologist and OT!!  The schools can not deal with him and I get calls he is crying hysterically and I need to comeget him.  I can not bring him anywhere, if someone looks at him he crys, something goes wrong he crys...believe me Ihave asked for so much help for him...I need to somehow curb his over sensitive..he has no friends and is unwelcome at parties etc due to his extreme crying, not just tears bawling hysteically every where we go.

1
0
Anonymous