celeste18
celeste18 asks:
Q:

My kindergarten age son cries & says he doesn't want to go to school, that he will miss us too much. (mom & bro) How do I make this easier for him?

In Topics: Back to school

|
n8vakn
n8vakn writes:
If you are able to, get your hands on some heavy construction paper or cardstock and make him a "going to school" book. Fold pockets at the bottoms of each page with cardstock people you've made that look like you, brother, and him. Make one page home getting ready for school, another page eating breakfast and talking to mommy, another getting on the bus and waving bye to mommy (or getting dropped off in the car), then sitting on the carpet at school with a cardstock teacher person teaching the class, then eating lunch at school with his friends, then playing at recess, then getting on the bus (or car) and giving mommy big hugs hello and telling her all about his day. This manipulative book is really a great role playing tool for him to understand that mommy and brother will be there before and after school and that he will have lots of fun with his friends. It's helped my preschoolers :)

3
0
JeanneBrockmyer
JeanneBrock... writes:
It must be hard for you to hear you son be so upset.  Since he is in kindergarten it is within the range of normal reactions, though, for him to express not wanting to leave you to go to school.  And if there is a younger child still at home, there could be a touch of envy that the brother is getting your attention while he isn't. Think you could empathize with him by saying something like "I can tell it's hard for you to go off to school, but I think that once you get used to it you will really like it. I will miss you too and be thinking about what you are doing.  Can't wait to hear about it when you get home!"
When your son comes home it would be great if you could give him some special time without his brother around to talk about his day. Realize this may be difficult, but even 5 special minutes could mean a lot to him and help with the transition.
Most kids eventually adjust very well to kindergarten, especially when they have a supportive and concerned parent like you.

3
0
AbuAhmed
AbuAhmed writes:
It is sad to see your child cry, but he will get used to school eventually.  My son was crying from the time we put on his school uniform then he stops crying in the car then he starts again when I drop him at school. It was breaking my heart to see him crying, but in less than a week he got used to the routine and now he is saying good-bye when I leave the school and does not cry in the morning anymore.  Some children may take a little longer, but hang in there your child will be just fine. This is the phase that most parents have to go through and it is part of being a parent.  All the best!!

0
0