Judimuschi
Judimuschi asks:
Q:

Is kindergarten too young to learn that MLK Jr and Abraham Lincoln were shot by a gun and died?

My son's kindergarten class completed a
Lesson on Martin Luther King Jr. Including reading a Picture Book of Martin Luther King Jr by Adler.  The ending is of course that he was shot by a rifle and dies.  

How would this be appropriate for 5 and 6 year olds? How do I get this removed from the curriculum?  What if I run into fierce opposition?

In Topics: Kindergarten readiness, Working with my child's teacher(s), My Relationship with my child's school

|
kindmj
kindmj writes:
I'm wondering why you would want to remove this valuable lesson from the curriculum?  
I think teaching about MLK Jr is a good opportunity to develop compassion and a strong sense of what is right and wrong in young children.

0
0
Judimuschi
Judimuschi writes:
I don't want the lesson of Martin Luther King Jr removed from the curriculum.  I think guns, violence, discrimination, hatred and segregation need to be removed.  He's 5.
The focus for that age group needs to be kindness, compassion, and respecting differences.  

When the teacher read the words 'rifle' and 'died', the class lost focus and questions were focused on those words, not the true meaning behind the lesson.  

The teacher opted to leave out the details of Abraham Lincoln's death, for which I was grateful that we seemed to be in agreement that the concept of killing is not understood by 5 and 6 year olds.

1
0
gsgmom
gsgmom writes:
Wow I would have to agree with you.  I would not feel comfortable with the idea of him learning that they died because they got shot.  I do believe they should learn all about them and the wonderful things that they had to offer to us.  You could speak with the PTA, teacher or the principle.  See what other books there are out that would leave the violate part out of the story.  Voice the concerns that you have.  Wish you the best.

1
0
Anonymous