Danielle
Danielle , Parent asks:
Q:

Does a kindergartener need a cell phone?

Some of the kindergarten aged kids in our neighborhood have cell phones. I think this is totally insane. But perhaps I'm just old fashioned. What age to people think kids should start carrying a cell phone?
In Topics: Children and cell phones

|
rkaiulani
rkaiulani writes:
I think that kids should start carrying cell phones when there is no longer an adult in charge of monitoring them. At the kindergarten level, your child is constantly in the presence of an adult, who presumably has his or her own phone which you can use to contact your child. At the late elementary/middle school level, kids are own their own for a period of time each day.
I also think that we as a culture should reassess exactly what cell phones are for, and why kids should use them. Video, text messaging, photo capability, etc. is really not necessary for anyone, let alone a young child whose time could be better spent.

3
0
koufitir
koufitir writes:
I cannot even imagine my kindergartner carrying a cell phone (he does carry my old, not functioning cell phone)! I agree with Rose, that in some instances when older children are on their own for some time, or come home before the parents do, a cell phone (without gadgets) can be essential for their safety. Cell phones should not be handled by children as cool accessories and teenagers carrying a cell phone should, in my opinion, contribute to the cell phone plan in order to to teach financial responsibility and self-discipline.

1
0
mbryan309
mbryan309 writes:
absolutely not, my son is in 5th grade and his dad got him one and i even think thats absurd.

1
0
Edu-Katherine
Edu-Katherine writes:
This is a great question. While phoning and text messaging friends can be a distraction and cause problems, I'm sure there are circumstances when it would be a good idea. For example, I have a diabetic nephew who carried a cell phone throughout elementary school so he could call home if there were any problems.  In a medical situation, it might be a good idea.  Perhaps it's really an individual case by case thing.

Edu-Katherine
Community Team

0
0
JSorrentino
JSorrentino writes:
Emily Post Senning, the granddaughter of manners guru Emily Post, has some very interesting things to say about this topic. Feel free to check out an article on this site about her ideas. Here's the link:
http://www.education.com/magazine/article/Teach_Your_Kids_Cell_Phone/

0
0
jjteach
jjteach writes:
I  do not think elementary school age children need to have a cell phone.

1
0
BreezyPalms
BreezyPalms writes:
Please NO!!!  Technology of today will be your biggest battle in the future......I know I'm going through it now.  In the past 5 years texting has exploded.  Being unfamiliar with this form of communication..I was duped my son is now 21 and it is completely OUT OF CONTROL>>>>
It will slowly sneak up on you and over power the child's life. Only give the child a phone when necessary and take it away when not necessary.. Parents must keep the control --  because if not -- the child and the phone will control the child's life.  PLEASE _ kindergarten is no time to begin to give your child a cell phone.. wait until 12 yrs of age or so.   And you make sure YOU are in control of the phone at all times !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

1
0
babycakescurran
babycakescu... writes:
A kindergarten age child really doesnt need a cell phone.  If one is purchased, it is likely because the parent works and wants to feel like they can get ahold of the child or vise versa.  At this age, children tend to be forgetful and may lose the phone. In addition, they may abuse it by texting and calling from the bus or at school.  If you work, i am sure you have been able to figure out how to keep your child safe before and after school.  Just check in with the child via the caregiver if you are worried or want to speak with the child.  It is just one more expense... so if you REALLY want to get one, make sure it is a simple phone with no internet access. Also, make sure you lay down some rules about usage and be prepared to repeat these again and again This is the best way to ensure your child doesnt rack up the phone bill.

0
0
HorseloverWang
HorseloverW... writes:
NO! About age 10 and up

0
0
Whoviangirl134
Whoviangirl... writes:
Is it me? Or are the kids in your neighborhood insane? I still do not have a phone, and I have no parents, (they died), and I think get a phone when it comes to that time in your life where your a teen, and you want to call your friend to hang for dinner with you or call your bff over for a sleepover. Then phones are what you want, get it when you NEED it.

0
0
zieshashey
zieshashey writes:
no I don't feel it !

0
0