JWG123
JWG123 asks:
Q:

My Kindergartener may not be ready for 1st grade

We do homework every night with our son and it takes about an hour.  He struggles to comprehend some of the material.  He cried the first 3 months of the school year everyday before going to school.  It has gotten better but it seems he tries depirately hard to fit in yet he does not like to be around other kids.  His anxiety level is very high.  Socially he does not interact or talk about any friends.  He is a little slower acedemically than the others as well.  I have a meeting with the pyschologist, the principal, and the teacher coming up and they don't feel that anything is wrong...this meeting is to determin what direction we should take with him concerning testing...I just don't know how to express my concern or what I should specifically ask for in the meeting.
In Topics: Kindergarten readiness, Cognitive development

|

First, bravo to you for knowing that something is not quite feeling right with your child and being proactive.  You started at a good step- consulting with the school team and considering thorough evaluations. Know that if you feel that you would like someone else at the meeting to support you, it is within your legal right to bring another person or persons.  This includes any child development advocates or consultants or a friend.  Sometimes an extra person helps with record and note taking.  (The school should provide you a summary of your meeting before you leave the day of the meeting or shortly thereafter.)

The National Association of School Psychologist (nasponline.org) offers a wealth of information for parents going through this process.

Also, WrightsLaw.com offers much information about the legal components of education.  

Louise Sattler, NCSP

0
0