jmarler
jmarler asks:
Q:

How do I get my kindergartner skipped to the 1st grade?

Our son has always been very advanced. He has been in a Head Start program at 3 years old, pre-school at 4 years old and now is in the kindergarten at 5 years old. He complains everyday about being bored and doesn't want to go to school. We convinced the school to assess him and they decided to do split days. (1st grade in the morning, then kindergarten mid day and 1st grade again in the afternoon) This was okay at first, but we feel as though he isn't learning anything new in kindergarten and tried to get him skipped to the first grade. The schools principal said this is impossible do to his age, even though there are children only a few months older than him in the 1st grade class. I pulled our son out of that school do to the principals lack of help and rudeness. We are transferring him to a new school, but I want him to start in the 1st grade. How do I get the new school to put him in the 1st grade. Shouldn't a child's parent have a say?
In Topics: School and Academics, Working with school administrators

|

pigtoria
pigtoria writes:
Hi Jmarler,

It’s great to hear that you have an advanced kindergartener who is ready to go to first grade.  The common problem now is red-shirting kindergartener (particularly boys) because they are not ready for kindergarten.

Regarding your question, in some school districts, when a child misses the cut off date (by just a few days or weeks) to start kindergarten, they can go directly to the school district to take an academic test to prove they are ready for kindergarten.  I am sure a test of this sort is available at your school district to test your kindergartener for first grade.  Good luck!

Vicki

1
0