SRM123
SRM123 asks:
Q:

Is it okay to make a kindergartner stand for 5 minutes with their arms straight out to their sides?

Is it okay to make a kindergarten class stand for 5 minutes with their arms extended out straight to their sides and then due to the burning one child begins to cry and the teacher thinks the child is laughing an says to the the crying child that once the 5 minutes is up the other children can sit down and the crying child must stand longer with their arms out because they were laughing? Would this be considered cruel and unusual punishment or just a bad call on the teachers part or is this a reasonable means of punishment? Please advise.

Sincerely, Concerned Grandmother/Parent
In Topics: School and Academics, My Relationship with my child's school

|

What you have describe is not acceptable.  I would contact the school's principal to inform him of what is going on.  Ask what actions will be taken to make sure this type of behavior will not happen again. I would also ask what help is being offered to the teacher to help her improve her classroom management skills.  Chances are the teacher was frustrated.  She needs new skills.  She might not be a bad teacher, just one who lost her way for a few minutes.  I don't want to make excuses, but I'm sure many parents have punished or corrected their child's behavior that they wished they had handled it differently when it was all said and done.

2
0

greenprof2
greenprof2 writes:
Gosh, I remember enduring that same punishment, in the first grade! And I'm 64! I thought that kind of torture had been outlawed.

No, that sort of thing is clearly inappropriate. That teacher needs to take a class on positive discipline.

1
0
sharonfry
sharonfry writes:
I absolutely don't think that this is okay.  Punishment is not meant to humiliate. Why would you want to treat a child like that?  This borders on degrading in my opinion & sounds like the teacher is just wanting to exhibit control.  I'm not a teacher but I am a mother & I think that anything that singles out a child in front of the entire class, especially if they've begun to cry, is just shameful on the teacher's part.

1
0