Lovinglyamom
Lovinglyamom asks:
Q:

My kindergartner's teacher has no regard for me and only speaks to my husband in a flirtatious manner.  It's bothersome.  Should I switch teachers?

Question asked after reading: http://www.education.com/magazine/article/switc...

My kindergartner's teacher also doesn't give my daughter the proper attention she needs.  In all fairness, there are 34 students altogether in the class and my child has been her student for only a few months.  She has one student that gets a lot of focus because she is friends with the mom.  She was a teacher to this mom's kids.  By this teacher showing little regard and respect during Parent Teacher Conference is bothersome.  The focus is now not on my child, but her interest in my husband.  What should I do?  Your opinion and advice would be greatly appreciated.  
Member Added on Nov 16, 2012
I want to thank everyone for the answers.  I wasn't aware of the close knit ties teachers have with one another, so thanks also for that information.  The administrator did not allow my child to switch teachers.  I wasn't even given a chance to explain my concerns.  It was an instant, "NO, ABSOLUTELY NOT."  It's all about money rather than my child's best interest.  This is public schooling.  When it was my turn to speak, the only thing I did not mention to the administrator was the favoritism.  I did not want to add to my problems a retaliatory reaction from some angry mother.  So, I'm not sure what to do next.  I guess I will have to see if there will be an improvement in the teacher's attitude.  
In Topics: Working with my child's teacher(s), Working with school administrators

|

You are expressing several concerns: (1) the teacher is showing favoritism to her friend's child in class; (2) the teacher is neglecting your child's needs; (3) the teacher is disconnected and disrespectful to you during teacher-parent conferences; and (4) the teacher is showing inappropriate attention to your husband (flirting, making unwelcomed advances, etc.). Given your concerns, it would be best to request a transfer to another teacher.

Schedule a conference with the school administrator. Rather than focus on your opinions of the teacher, it would be best to be specific about your observations of the teacher's behaviors, particularly about how she acts with your husband. Your husband may need to attend the conference. The administrator may also ask what you want, specifically regarding the inappropriate behavior with your husband.

2
1

DylanMWaters
DylanMWaters writes:
yes!

2
0
M.M.Schooling
M.M.Schooling writes:
The expert answer to your question is great.  The only thing I would add is this:  There are great teachers and there are horrible teachers and teachers that fall in-between.  The only way that a school's administration can help any teacher become better at their job is to receive input from the parents.  This is especially true when you have observed inappropriate behavior from the teacher toward you, your spouse or your child.  

I would be careful about which class your child is transferred to, however.  Teachers are part of a very close-knit community and tend to defend each other.  If your child is moved to another teacher who is good friends with her current teacher, you may find some of the behaviors mirrored in the new class.

1
1
DylanMWaters
DylanMWaters writes:
Yes, I would.

1
0