rmcc asks:

My Kentucky 1st grader scores MAP Reading 165, Math 168, & DRA Reading 2.  What do these #'s mean or where can I go to find out?

In Topics: School and Academics, Learning issues and special needs, State education standards

I'm not familiar with the Kentucky state exams, but I have included a link below to a newspaper story on the topic. In general, the best way to interpret scores on standardizes tests is to make note of the percentiles accompanying the scores. A score in the 69th percentile, for instance, means that your child scored higher than 69% of his or her same-aged peers taking the test at the same time. Likewise, if they scored in the 21st percentile, they scored higher than 21% of their same-aged peers taking the test.

You can use this information to determine your child's relative strengths and areas of improvement to determine where they may need extra help.

Laura Kauffman, Ph.D.
Licensed Psychologist
Education.com JustAsk Expert

MTrejo writes:
The best way to understand the test and the results of test is to meet with the teacher, counselor, or director of curriculum in your school.  You need to ask what the results mean and also how to help your child improve areas identified below expectations.

Maria Triejo, Expert Panelist