Naziali
Naziali asks:
Q:

Having language problem with my 6 yr old son.

My son is 6 yrs old and he has a problem with understanding and his teacher is complaining everyday. She told us he is not listening, he is not doing anything by himself so she is suggesting to send him to special school. And also gave us 6 weeks to make him understand. I don t know what to do. She told us it's not a language problem, it's something else. Please help me with how to make him understand.
In Topics: School and Academics, Learning issues and special needs, My Relationship with my child's school

|

Hello and thank you for writing to JustAsk,

Please consider requesting a meeting with school specialists who help children with language and speech delays. Also, note that no one person in a school can "send him to a special school". There is a process to help children with learning and behavioral challenges in public schools and there are parental rights.

WRIGHTS LAW explains the process of helping families through the educational process when special education is involved. Much of what is needed to help students can be school based or even in their classroom. This is the IDEA legislation and has a portion which in essence mandates "least restrictive environment" for a child to meet their individualized goals.  http://www.WrightsLaw.com

Consider having a person who may be accustomed to special education law and language difficulties  be with you during meetings.  This is an advocate and names of people who can be helpful are often available at the School Board office or via local library listings.

Also, your child may have a hearing problem.  Your local pediatrician will need to be consulted to help rule this out. (This is called an audiological exam, if warranted)

Best wishes,

Louise Sattler, Psychologist

0
0

genermcmillan
genermcmillan writes:
I think your child having no interesting in studies and writing like school works. It is better to motivate , please give the information related to her like ones and give the article related to her likes . If she love whats-up then you can give this link to her for better reading and understanding.

0
0