What law or statue states teachers can put their hands on students?

Asked by Lisa via the Facebook fan page:
In Topics: Working with my child's teacher(s), National education standards and No Child Left Behind

This is a very good question, and the answer depends on the state. For example, most states have outlawed corporal punishment, such as spanking, but it is still taking place in some schools across the nation.

One area where there is little tolerance for physical contact is related to abusive acts by an adult to a child. If this is a major part of your question, I would start with the principal and seek further investigation of the situation.

If you are not satisfied with this strategy, and feel further investigation is necessary, you can also contact the Human Services Department in your county. However, I would strongly encourage you to work through some of these issues with your school's principal.