tracybarnes... asks:

what are the laws reguarding truancy issues with these types of children when the parent has wrap around services and is compliant?

My daughter has acute anxiety disorder ptsd, odd, ocd, serparation anxiety and bipolar.  Despite my efforts to inform the school, work with the school, and her wrap around services, the school continues to take me to court.  I put her in the online program because of the added anxiety the principle imposed.  She still has 12 days absent this year and the principle is again taking me to court.  Her only call to k12 was attenance issues and not progress.  I am being harrassed and would like to know the laws.

Question asked after reading:
In Topics: Working with school administrators, Homeschooling, My Relationship with my child's school
> 60 days ago



Dec 8, 2010
Subscribe to Expert

What the Expert Says:


I'm sorry to hear your daughter is having so much trouble with her different disorders.  It must be hard for both of you.  This is a difficult question to answer, but let me give you some things to think about.

Chances are the public school is under strict guidelines that requires the school to report any truant students.  If they don't, then the school (and principal) could be held responsible for your daughter not learning or graduating.  To find out the law, I would contact the lawyer who represents the school district.  They should be able to point you in the right direction so you can read the law yourself.

If your daughter's doctor(s) have documented and diagnosed her to have these disorders, then I would ask them what they suggest.  They might know of a similar case or know of an organization that could guide with legal issues.

If she is enrolled in an online program, then why is the principal still going after you legally?  Since I don't know what the particulars of the program, maybe you want to consider homeschooling.

Get a lawyer.  If money is an issue, see if there is legal aide services available in your area.  That way when you go to court, you have someone who knows the law.  Also check to see if there are any organizations that support your daughter's illnesses.  For example there might be a metal health group that could provide an advocate to help you put this matter to rest.  The advocates often know the law and will help you through the process and chances are have helped others in similar situations.

Hopefully I have given you some avenues to consider.  I wish you and your daughter all the best.

Barb K

Did you find this answer useful?
Answer this question


You are about to choose ${username}'s answer as the best answer.

Cancel | Continue

*You can change the best answer in the future if you think that you received a better answer

How likely are you to recommend to your friends and colleagues?

Not at all likely
Extremely likely