momof33
momof33 asks:
Q:

MY LD son wants to join the Army. I do not think, given his capabilities, he should do it. Is there a way I can challenge recruitment?

My son is 18 and is set to graduate in 2012. He has been focused on taking the ASVAB to join the Army. However, he has some significant ADL difficulties, including difficulty reading, telling right from left, forgetting to turn the stove off, forgetting to eat...I am worried that if he was to join the Army he will get hurt or killed. Is there a way I can challenge his entry into the Military, does he have to pass a psychological exam or anything like that?
In Topics: Jobs/Careers, Learning disabilities

|

DrSheldonHorowitz

Dear Momof33....
I needed to read and reread your question a few times! I've been asked about how military families who have children with special needs can access services when they live on military bases and move from one location to another, and about teens and young adults who are having trouble passing their ASVAB exams. To be honest, I am not sure what options you have regarding sharing your concerns about your son's ADL skills or his overall eligibility or fitness to enroll. And I am not sure what types of screening and testing are routinely done, or whether whatever protocol they follow will capture the types of concerns you have about your son's well-being!)
Why not contact an Army enlistment specialist (search for a local office at http://www.todaysmilitary.com/contact-a-recruiter) and share your questions and concerns.
0
0
Anonymous