Lisa5
Lisa5 asks:
Q:

What is the best learning environment for a 1st grader? How to communicate which classroom is best for child?

I was recently told by the school principal that written requests for specific teachers were no longer going to be accepted.  She instead suggested I write requesting the type of environment I'd like for my twins in the upcoming school year.  Besides the obvious safe, structured, nurturing creativity and imagination, what else should I be asking for.  And don't all teachers strive to "be all" and "do all" for their students? Aren't all teachers striving to offer the same basic environment? By requesting a specific teacher,I feel I could better match my twins with the teaching method and maybe even (once I observe the teacher) with his/her personality and my child. Am I wrong? If so what should I ask for?    
In Topics: School and Academics, Learning issues and special needs, My Relationship with my child's school

|
newteacher1986
newteacher1... writes:
consider the learning type of your twins, are the visual, spatial, kinestheic(learn by doing), visual-spatial, auditory-spatial, auditory(learn by hearing)... just to name a few or they may just be a mixture. do some research on different learning types. also consider is the teacher going to make the necessary accomodations for your children's learning preferences. but the most important thing to consider is their well-being, are they going to be comfortable with the new class, are there familiar faces to be seen (friends:former class mates). with almost all students they will learn and thrieve more easily if they are comfortable. hope this helps.

1
0
Hector7
Hector7 writes:
Hi Lisa5,

I think the environment is an excellent point to describe so that can then be extended to show all teachers what parents look for in a classroom. This also shows the principal values parental input.

You have some great points in your question, specifically:

1. Firstly - knowing your child's learning style; how does your child learn from your observations?
(does your child need to do things to learn, or print words and draw pictures to learn about them, or maybe your child is more mathematical and likes to find patterns and similarities in things, or musical - maybe a song and dance will help your child to learn - there are many ways children learn -younger children usually love little songs)
2. Secondly -how does the teacher describe your child's learning style in the classroom? (it may different than what you think)
3. Thirdly - observing the teacher teaching a class before deciding if you want your child in their class is an excellent idea,(set up the date/time to observe the class with the teacher )
*while observing make notes - does the teacher explain/lead/teach the same way you have been?   - are the students engaged in the lesson? -what type of activity do the students do to show understanding of the lesson? - how do you see your child in this class with this teacher? Are you comfortable speaking with the teacher?
*For grade one, are the items low for the children to be able to reach easily? Lots of books and learning toys? Is it a comfortable atmosphere in the classroom?  

Every school has different ideas, focus and routines that are usually reflective of the positive results that have been seen previously in the school.
Getting involved in your child's school parent council is a great way to become familiar with the school.
I hope this helps.

1
0
genermcmillan
genermcmillan writes:
Please try to motivate your child with good support. For better communication first wants a best knowledge with different topic, you can give some article or books to read your child. It must hold the like one. here  given the link of blog, that is really wants to me, so please find out any attractive article for your child.

0
0
Anonymous