LASmith
LASmith asks:
Q:

What is the best learning environment for a teen with ODD and a Mood Disorder?

My son is 14 years old, and has been diagnosed with ODD and a mood disorder. His symptoms became significantly worse about a year and a half ago. He recently moved back home with me from his dad's; (dad couldn't control him). Since he's been back home he's been hospitalized in a behavioral institute, and has had two youth agencies work with him. His grades in public school are horrid. His social skills are equally lacking. He's very intelligent and talented, and under strict supervision, he has demonstrated the potential to do well academically. However, his social issues seem to be a big distraction for him. He misses a lot of classes, and days of school because of being unable to control his temper; (he gets sent home). I don't know if public school teachers have the experience, patience, or time to tend to his personal needs. He recently changed meds; (was on risperdal, now on zyprexa zidis). I'm thinking about home schooling him while he is learning to develop his social skills. Any comments or suggestions on what learning environment would be best?

~Lynn
In Topics: Special needs

|

Vwindman

Does your son have an IEP?  Has his behavior always been a problem.  Keeping your son home will not enhance his social skills. He needs to be with other students and learn to model appropriate behavior.  Many teachers do not have the experience working with children that have behavior problems.  He may be more successful if he has a proper evaluation from your school.  He may be entitled to an IEP that can help make the right accomodations for your son.
1
0