Willowfarm
Willowfarm asks:
Q:

Can I ask for a learning support classroom for more subjects for my son?

My son Colby who was diagnosed with PDD and Learning disability has just started the 6th grade at our Middle School. He is on a second/third grade level at this time. In his IEP it states Learning support class in his academic classes, such as language arts, math, spelling. Language arts, math, and spelling, he is in a self contained class, but Science, Social studies, music, and a reading enrichment 6 class are he is not. In Science and Social studies, I was promised an inclusion teacher. Colby does have one in Science, but in Social studies, he has one 4 days a week for the exception of Wednesdays.  However, he is not doing so well at all. He is close to shutting down. He comes home from school everyday worried about the next day. This inclusive teaching setting is not working. I and another parent are having a hard time trying to get the proper education for our children. Is there anyway that we can ask for a Learning Support classroom for all subjects? I will re-open my IEP if need be. Please, does anyone have any suggestions?  Thank you bunches for any help...Bobbie
In Topics: Learning disabilities

|

Hello Bobbie!  Thank you for asking this important question.  Please note that if you feel that services are not be conducted as outlined and agreed upon with your son's IEP then you can request another review meeting prior to his annual review.

There are steps to help you with this request.

First, make your request in writing.  Date the letter.  Make and keep a copy.

Second, It sounds that you are having a hard time "wading " through a lot of the  IEP process and could use some support. Call your school district and ask for the names of parent advocates.  If they don't have any then please contact your state level office for special education or a local chapter of an autism society.  Ask other parents too, if they have used parent advocates to help them decipher the complexities of the IEP process.

Third, write out specifically what you think is working and not working with your son's IEP.  Please bring two copies to the meeting.  One for you to keep in a file and the second to submit.  

I am including some helpful websites.  Of course, Education.com has many resources to assist you as well.

Owner of Signing Families
http://www.SigningFamilies.com
0
0

cowon3086
cowon3086 writes:
You should be able to revisit the IEP anytime you want.  Just make sure to put it in writing to his case worker/principal.. whoever is in charge that you want to revise the current IEP.

0
0